On January 4, 2009, I received a very distressing plea for help from a good Samaritan in Lebanon, TN. There was a fire in an abandoned home, and when she went to take a closer look, she found a pit bull who was apparently chained to the back of the house and had been burned by the fire. Even though Barbara – our good Samaritan – was a little frightened of him (she admitted that it was due to the breed reputation and not because of anything he did), and she couldn’t leave him to fend for himself. I am so very thankful that Barbara designated herself as his guardian angel.
I took one look at his picture – into those sad eyes – and told Barbara I would pick him up the next morning.
On Monday, I took JoeJoe to my vet, and EVERYBODY in the office just fell in love with him. He had burns on the pads of his feet and inside both his ears. He also had some small burns on various places on his body. The biggest concern is that Dr. Copeland found that JoeJoe has an infection in both eyes which he thinks was caused by being so close to the heat of the fire. The poor little guy is terribly underweight and full of roundworms, but the good news is he is heartworm and lyme disease negative. Last but not least, we got those horrible nails cut. Dr. Copeland gave him antibiotic injections, and we got a bunch of medicine to take home, so hopefully he will soon be on his way to recovery!
I am hoping to keep everyone updated on JoeJoe’s progress through the blog. So far, he has been a complete and total sweetheart. He is such a cutie-pie…I mean, you just gotta love those ears!
I wanted to thank everyone for the outpouring of concern for JoeJoe, and just ask everyone to continue to keep him in your prayers.